Shannon Adkins is a thought leader and the CEO of Future State. Future State is a women-led, women-owned, and employee-owned consulting company that guides their clients throughout their journeys of transformation. Shannon worked for startups and tech companies, as well as corporate America, got her MBA, and started a family all before returning to a company where she knew she could fully realize her roles as a mom, a volunteer, and an influential businesswoman.
She became the CEO of Future State in 2015 and developed the company into a certified B-Corporation. Frankly, to call her a modern-day superwoman would be an understatement.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Dov Pollack introduces his guest, Shannon Adkins
- Shannon discusses the impact of Future State being a women-led and owned company
- Building work environments where people don’t have to choose between their personal and professional lives
- How management consulting has evolved over time
- Working for companies whose values don’t align with your own
- Shannon talks about her relationship with her dad
- An early moment of success in Shannon’s career
- Shannon discusses how her outlook on life changed after her mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s
- Giving and receiving effective feedback
- How do you handle making unpopular decisions as a leader?
- A valuable piece of feedback Shannon received from a mentor
- Shannon shares the adjustments she’s made as a leader during the current pandemic
- Continuing to build meaningful connections without having in-person interactions
- People who have made a significant impact on Shannon’s life
In this episode…
Research shows that people are most committed to their jobs when they work in an environment where they feel encouraged to grow. In this episode of The Next Wave Leadership Podcast, Shannon Adkins from Future State shares her leadership journey, from always knowing that she wanted to have a positive impact on women to becoming the CEO of a women-led company. You’ll learn about building a culture that promotes meaningful connections and how to maintain these relationships during the COVID-19 crisis.
Additionally, you’ll hear about the challenges that Shannon faces as a leader, like learning to give effective feedback and being true to yourself at the expense of not being liked. She talks about her relationship with her parents and how her mom’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis shaped her ideas about failure, success, and fulfillment. Shannon also notes how investing time into developing a culture where people feel valued prepared her company for the transition to remote work due to COVID-19.
Join Dov Pollack in this episode of The Next Wave Leadership Podcast as he interviews Shannon Adkins, thought leader and CEO of Future State. Shannon provides insight into creating a human-centered workplace where you can be your authentic self, which helps you work harder, have a greater impact, and feel fully engaged in all aspects of your life. You can learn more about Shannon and the work that Future State does in the resources section below.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Shannon Adkins on LinkedIn
- Future State Website
- Jennifer Kenny’s Website
- Dov Pollack on LinkedIn
- Next Wave Leadership
- Dov’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Next Wave Leadership.
Founded by Dov Pollack, Next Wave Leadership is an executive coaching firm focused on helping CEOs, executives and emerging leaders overcome their limiting beliefs which is an essential part of creating a growth mindset culture.
If you are looking to grow as a leader and create a vibrant and innovative culture in your organization, Next Wave Leadership can help you get the results you want and need.