Leslie Shannon is the Head of Ecosystem and Trend Scouting at Nokia, a telecommunications, information technology, and consumer electronics company. In this role, Leslie investigates new developments in the tech industry to understand what technological innovations humans can expect to observe and interact with three to five years in the future.
Outside of her exciting work at Nokia, Leslie also serves as a Board Advisor for Myplanet, a web design and employee support systems provider based in Toronto, Canada.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Leslie Shannon talks about the process of helping Nokia implement 3G technology
- Why women are forced to rely on data-driven arguments in the workplace
- How Leslie’s academic background in Art History has impacted her career in the tech industry
- Leslie discusses creating—and immediately filling—the job of “trend scout” at Nokia
- How the TV game show, Jeopardy!, built Leslie’s long-term self-confidence
- The well-developed support system for women at Nokia
- Leslie reveals the formative piece of feedback that improved her interpersonal relationships
- Leslie’s important advice for women in the tech industry: follow your heart and don’t worry about “permission”
In this episode…
Do you ever find yourself dreaming of bigger and better professional ventures? Do you want a fulfilling job that involves your skills and interests—but you aren’t quite sure what is holding you back from achieving your goals?
According to Leslie Shannon, there could be just one thing that’s holding you back: yourself. Unfortunately, a lack of self-confidence is often the culprit for not making our dreams a reality. This meekness can stem from almost anything: trauma, family dynamics, and sexism, to name a few. However, Leslie argues that the important thing to consider isn’t necessarily where your lack of self-confidence comes from, but how you recognize this reality and take control of your future success. Ready to start?
In this episode of Next Wave Leadership, Leslie Shannon, Head of Ecosystem and Trend Scouting at Nokia, joins Dov Pollack to talk about her journey towards building an impenetrable backbone as a woman in the technology industry. Listen in as Leslie discusses why women have to establish their voice in the workplace, how she created a brand-new position for herself at Nokia, and why being on Jeopardy! transformed her self-confidence forever. Stay tuned for more!
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Leslie Shannon on LinkedIn
- Dov Pollack on LinkedIn
- Next Wave Leadership
- Dov’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Next Wave Leadership.
Founded by Dov Pollack, Next Wave Leadership is an executive coaching firm focused on helping CEOs, executives and emerging leaders overcome their limiting beliefs which is an essential part of creating a growth mindset culture.
If you are looking to grow as a leader and create a vibrant and innovative culture in your organization, Next Wave Leadership can help you get the results you want and need.