Kate Terry is the Co-founder and Chief Operating Officer of Surround Insurance, which reinvents age-old insurance products to serve new customers. With 18 years in the insurance industry, she is a respected figure in the insurance space and works as a member of the board of directors for Skyward Specialty Insurance. Kate has also held leadership positions at Liberty Mutual and Progressive. She has an MBA in general management from Harvard Business School.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- How Kate Terry fills insurance needs
- Kate’s transformation from people pleaser to leader
- The power of pattern recognition
- Why blame is the most destructive force in organizations
- Being a woman leader at a conservative company
- The origin of Surround Insurance and how it stands apart from the rest
- How to navigate a partnership successfully
- Kate’s growth and advice for public speaking
In this episode…
With established industries, it can be difficult to see customers’ pressing needs beneath the tradition. It can be especially daunting to create a successful business that breaks those molds.
Kate Terry saw the limited selection of insurance options during her time in the industry. She and her Co-founder started Surround Insurance to fill frequently overlooked needs. Drawing from her experience and pattern recognition abilities, she stepped into a new leadership role. So what can be learned from her story?
In this episode of Next Wave Leadership, Dov Pollack interviews Kate Terry, the Co-founder and Chief Operating Officer of Surround Insurance, to discuss her career and her insights as a leader. They break down the insurance industry and what needs were failing to be met for consumers. They also go through the partnership with her Co-founder, working within conservative companies, and why blame is so damaging within organizations.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Surround Insurance
- Kate Terry on LinkedIn
- Dov Pollack on LinkedIn
- Next Wave Leadership
- Dov’s email: [email protected]
- Radical Candor: Fully Revised & Updated Edition: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott
- Jonathan Grayson on LinkedIn
Sponsor for this episode…
Founded by Dov Pollack, Next Wave Leadership is an executive coaching firm focused on helping CEOs, executives, and emerging leaders to deepen their executive presence, differentiate their voice, and embrace the plot and promise of their story.