Brenda Castillo-Garza is the Regional Director at MidPen Housing Corporation, an organization that provides safe, affordable housing and other services to low-income residents in the Bay Area. Brenda is a native of San Jose and earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology from UC Santa Barbara. She went on to earn a Master’s Degree in Education and Counseling from San Jose State University and started her educational career by working in the community college sector.
At MidPen Housing Corporation, Brenda has been responsible for the growth of programs and services provided to over 8,000 youth and adult residents in 10 Bay Area counties. She’s also a well-known innovator in out-of-school time programming and has led initiatives in asset and wealth building, vocational development, and health and wellness.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Brenda Castillo-Garza discusses MidPen Housing Corporation’s mission and her role within the organization
- Brenda talks about her childhood and how it influenced her career path
- How do you deal with imposter syndrome?
- The mentor who played an important role for Brenda in her leadership journey
- Brenda discusses her leadership values
- Lessons you can learn from your negative feedback
- How do you encourage vulnerability within the workplace?
- Adapting to remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Brenda talks about the people who have impacted her throughout her life
In this episode…
An important aspect of leadership is building relationships based on trust. Brenda Castillo-Garza, the Regional Director at MidPen Housing Corporation, believes that leveling the playing field and connecting with her team members individually creates a safe space where people can experience continued growth.
In her conversation with Dov, you’ll hear about finding your voice, practicing effective leadership, and what adjusting your vision of mentorship and coaching looks like. Brenda also tells a story about a negative interaction she had with a college counselor and how that experience paved the way for her future.
Join Brenda Castillo-Garza from MidPen Housing Corporation and Dov Pollack in this episode of the Next Wave Leadership Podcast. Brenda shares her experience as a Mexican-American woman in the corporate world and the obstacles she’s had to overcome. She also provides insight on dealing with your inner critic, growing from negative feedback, and how she’s continued to develop her team during the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more about Brenda and her leadership experience in the resources section below.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Brenda Castillo-Garza on LinkedIn
- MidPen Housing Corporation
- Dov Pollack on LinkedIn
- Next Wave Leadership
- Dov’s email: email@example.com
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Next Wave Leadership.
Founded by Dov Pollack, Next Wave Leadership is an executive coaching firm focused on helping CEOs, executives and emerging leaders overcome their limiting beliefs which is an essential part of creating a growth mindset culture.
If you are looking to grow as a leader and create a vibrant and innovative culture in your organization, Next Wave Leadership can help you get the results you want and need.