Bill Press is the Senior Vice President of Engineering at Iterable, a growth marketing platform that enables brands to build stronger relationships with their customers and create lifetime value as a result. He received a Ph.D. in Computation and Neural Systems from Caltech and has over two decades of experience as an engineer and leader in enterprise and on-demand software. Before his current role, Bill was the Senior Vice President of Engineering at Optimizely and created and led the Productivity Cloud at Salesforce.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Bill Press discusses his academic background and his path to becoming the Senior Vice President of Engineering at Iterable
- What is the difference between a programmer and a software engineer?
- How does Bill empower his team to feel like they can impact their organization?
- Recognizing your triggers as a leader
- Bill shares his definition of failure
- Educating others on what success looks like
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Bill shares his experience working with an executive coach
- The importance of diversity within an organization
- A mentor that influenced Bill’s approach to leadership
In this episode…
When there’s a hierarchy within an organization, people are given titles that often come with perceived expectations. However, the title that a person holds doesn’t automatically mean that that person is a leader. Bill Press, the Senior Vice President of Engineering at Iterable, believes that you can be a leader regardless of your role in an organization—if you adopt the mindset that you have an impact on the overall decisions of your organization.
You’ll hear about Bill’s career journey, from graduating with a Ph.D. in Computation and Neural Systems to becoming the SVP of Engineering at Iterable. He also discusses how his Zen practice influences his leadership style and how he deals with the sense of urgency that is so prevalent within the work environment. Additionally, Bill addresses the issue of race, gender, and socioeconomic inclusivity within the tech industry.
Join Bill Press, the Senior Vice President of Engineering at Iterable, and Dov Pollack in this episode of the Next Wave Leadership Podcast. Bill discusses his path to leadership, how he defines the role of a leader, and the mentor who impacted his leadership style. He also shares an impactful experience where he received a piece of constructive feedback and provides his own insight into giving effective feedback. Learn more about Bill and his leadership experience in the resources mentioned below.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Bill Press on LinkedIn
- Everyday Zen: Love and Work by Charlotte Joko Beck
- Hack Reactor
- Dov Pollack on LinkedIn
- Next Wave Leadership
- Dov’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by Next Wave Leadership.
Founded by Dov Pollack, Next Wave Leadership is an executive coaching firm focused on helping CEOs, executives and emerging leaders overcome their limiting beliefs which is an essential part of creating a growth mindset culture.
If you are looking to grow as a leader and create a vibrant and innovative culture in your organization, Next Wave Leadership can help you get the results you want and need.